Suffering from Peyronie’s disease—a curvature in the penis— is not only frustrating, but it can be extremely painful. Roughly 5% of the population will experience Peyronie’s disease—with most cases occurring between the ages of 40-70—during their lifetime. As a result, difficulty achieving an erection and experiencing penile pain are among the biggest complaints. The team at Revived Medical are experts in this condition and are ready to help you understand what Peyronie’s Disease is, and how to cure it.
Overview of Peyronie’s Disease
Peyronie’s Disease is a condition which causes the penis to significantly curve up, down, or to the side, due to fibrous scar tissue also known as plaque. In addition to having a notably curved penis, many men find themselves experiencing pain, shortened penis length, and suffering mentally. Although a small percentage of cases will heal on their own, majority of those effected by Peyronie’s disease will need professional treatment as this condition has multiple phases and tends to worsen over time:
- Acute Phase: This is the initial phase of Peyronie’s disease and begins once you start to experience symptoms. Once damage has occurred to the penis causing scar tissue to begin developing, the acute phase typically progresses over 6 months to a year. Men typically see their condition worsening and experience the most pain during this stage. Pain may be felt both with and without an erection.
- Chronic Phase: Once the scar tissue in the penis has settled and stopped expanding, the chronic phase has begun. This also means the penis curvature is done changing and shouldn’t worsen. Some men still experience pain during this phase, and often find themselves suffering from erectile dysfunction.
Peyronie’s Disease FAQ
- What Causes Peyronie’s Disease?
Although majority of men who start to experience the symptoms of Peyronie’s disease can’t pinpoint a specific event that has led to the condition, it is typically caused by some kind of trauma to the penis. Trauma is most commonly seen from a sports injury, accident, or intercourse.
- Who Suffers From Peyronie’s Disease?
Men of any age can suffer from Peyronie’s disease, however, it is most commonly experienced in men between the ages of 40-70.
- How Does Peyronie’s Disease Cause a Curved Penis?
The penis is made up of two tissues that assist in getting an erection. The first tissue is corpus cavernosum which is a sponge-like tissue that fills and traps blood during an erection. The second tissue is the tunica albuginea which runs along the length of the penis and straightens during an erection. When you suffer from Peyronie’s disease, the scar tissue in the penis doesn’t expand and hinders the flow of blood in that area. Depending on where the scar tissue is will determine where the curve of the penis occurs.
- Common Symptoms of Peyronie’s Disease?
- Shortened penis length
- Pain with or without an erection
- Curved penis
- Scar tissue you can see or feel on the penis shaft
- Erectile dysfunction
- When Should You See a Doctor?
Peyronie’s disease can affect your physical and mental health. Men with this condition often have trouble getting or maintaining an erection and experience pain. Without being able to sustain an erection, many men feel stress, anxiety, frustration and embarrassment. If you find yourself experiencing any of the symptoms of Peyronie’s disease or suffering mentally, it is recommended to meet with your doctor and seek treatment.
- Is Treatment Available?
Treatment is available! There are multiple treatment options available to help. Revived Medical can provide a consultation and determine the best course of treatment for your situation.
There are a variety of treatment options available for those who suffer from Peyronie’s disease including surgery, injections, and medications. However, in recent years, acoustic wave therapy has been shown to greatly repair even the most severe case of Peyronie’s disease. Acoustic wave therapy, although new to the urology world, has been used in modern medicine since the 80s to treat a variety of conditions. In orthopedics, acoustic wave therapy has successfully aided in and sped up the healing process of injured bones, ligaments, and tissues.
- What Is Acoustic Wave Therapy? Acoustic wave therapy is a treatment that uses a wand like device over a troubled area—in this case the penis—while sending out thousands of acoustic wave pulses. These waves stimulate the natural healing process within the collagen and elastin fibers of the penis to help restore the scarred area and remove any curvatures.
- What Can I Expect? Acoustic wave treatment is painless and requires no surgery, needles, or pills. This treatment is done over the course of 4 to 6 sessions which usually last 20 minutes each session. After your treatment, you can resume daily activities with no recovery or downtime.
Although an exact cause behind Peyronie’s disease hasn’t been determined, it is typically caused by a traumatic incident to the penis resulting in scar tissue and a painful curvature. In addition to having pain from this curvature, many men suffer from erectile dysfunction which leads to physical and mental health struggles. Although Peyronie’s disease progresses over time and rarely recovers on its own, acoustic wave therapy is a no risk treatment with great success. Restore your mental health and sex life with the help of acoustic wave therapy today.